Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Week 15: Sick Again

Unfortunately after such an awesome week last week, I think I caught a stomach bug this week :-( Thursday night into Friday morning I woke up several times with a belly ache and when I went to get up for work Friday morning, I promptly got sick and proceeded to do so 3 more times over the next couple of hours. My stomach then gave me a brief break before another 4 or 5 times of getting sick throughout the rest of the day. I would literally take a sip of water and it would be back up within 5 minutes. Around 7pm, my fever had spiked to about 100.4 and I realized that I hadn't peed all day (which is especially unusual now that it has become common for me to pee at least once every couple of hours or so), so I finally gave in and called the nurse's hotline and was told I should probably go into the ER. Damn.

Of course it was opening night for Charlotte's Web (the timing could not have been more perfect *sarcasm*) so Jon's parents came to pick me up while Jon rushed out of his show to meet us at the hospital. I was immediately taken in and hooked up to an IV to get some fluids in me while I got asked a bunch of questions and my vitals were taken. A nurse came in to check on Baby Legg's heartbeat...yay, an upside to having to come in! Or so I thought.

After about 10 min of searching around, Nurse #1 started to look nervous and said that she needed to go find another nurse because she couldn't find the heartbeat. Not to worry, it probably was just their Doppler machine having issues. Um yeah, OK. No worries here, lady. Right. Nurse #1 comes back with Nurse #2 who, through another 10 minutes of checking to no avail, had just the best bedside manner I could have hoped for. "Nope, I'm just not convinced we're finding anything in there," was one of my favorite quotes I got to hear as I'm sobbing on the table and Nurse #1 is desperately still trying to reassure me that everything is fine. Nurse #2 gives up and asks Nurse #3 to give it a go. Another 10 minutes of searching and another no go. Nurse #3 decides it's best to go find a doctor. Doctor comes back to find me a blubbering mess and he drags in an ultrasound machine. Within about 1.28 seconds, Baby Legg is showing bright and clear on the ultrasound machine with a little heart ticking away like normal. It's kind of a funny story now, with the up side of getting to see a 1st bonus ultrasound, but seriously. Worst half an hour of my life. At least I forgot I was sick for a while.

The rest of the hospital visit was pretty boring. Two bags of IV fluids paired with some anti-nausea medication, a few tests, and several hours of me trying to get some Gatorade and broth down to prove I could keep something in my stomach, and I was finally released around 2am.

Baby's first hospital visit:


 
Saturday and Sunday I took it easy with no more throwing up to report. Back to work on Monday and I was bent over the toilet within two hours of being there. I went back to work Tuesday for a second attempt and lasted the day and have been feeling back to normal today.

 
How far along? 15 weeks
Total weight gain/loss: I lost 2 lbs this last week with being sick so I'm back to the negative 2 overall.
Maternity clothes? Still only the belly band and maternity leggings
Stretch marks? Nope, but I'm keeping up with my Bio Oil regimen daily.
Best moment this week: Getting to see a surprise ultrasound, despite the negativity that led to it ;-)
Miss Anything? Getting a regular night's sleep. I had crazy restless legs Monday night that I've never had a problem with pre-pregnancy.
Movement: Nothing definite yet, just a lot of me trying to convince myself that I'm feeling something, but I finally should be feeling some over the next few weeks!
Food Cravings: Today I'm craving the plantain chip nachos from Chino Latino. Maybe I can convince Jon to make a special detour to the cities on his way home from work.....
Anything making you queasy or sick: Meat, meat, meat. And anything too cheesy.
Have you started to show yet: There's a little bump emerging...
Gender: Still waiting! I'm getting more anxious every day!
Labor Signs: Nope
Wedding rings on or off? They're actually sitting on my desk in front of me right now because they keep sliding off.
Happy or Moody most of the time: Now that I'm feeling better I'm happy!
Looking forward to: Jon going to check out a changing table for baby's room tomorrow and our 16 week appointment on Monday! And feeling some movement in there!

I forgot to mention last week that I started up a pregnancy workout. Up until my sick spell on Friday, I'd been doing Lindsay Brin's Pregnancy DVD: Yoga, Cardio & Toning Second Trimester pretty religiously every day. Man do you feel out of shape when you can't keep up with a room full of pregnant women! I really need to get back into my routine of going home and doing the video again now that I'm feeling a little better.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Allie I'm so sorry about your sickness and that heartbeat story would be absolutely terrifying: I'm so glad you and your baby are both alright and that you're no longer throwing up! :D And despite your sickness, I must say that your chalkboard picture is just as adorable as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and this is Kat again by the way. I just remembered to sign into my google account this time :)

      Delete